Art Education University of Michigan

University of Michigan School of Education

Numerous studies have shown that the quality of the teacher in a classroom has a tremendous effect on the students who are being taught. We prepare prospective elementary and secondary schoolteachers to be the superior teachers who make lasting impressions in the lives of young students.

We offer bachelor of arts and bachelor of science degrees. Upon completion of the degree, qualified students are recommended to the Michigan Department of Education for provisional teacher certification.

The State of Michigan requires that all teacher candidates have either a teaching major and minor or two teaching majors in order to be recommended for teacher certification. The State of Michigan certifies most fields at either the elementary (grades K-8) or secondary (grades 6-12) level, thus most students are considered either elementary or secondary teacher candidates. There are a few exceptions, however: certification in music education or physical education is granted for grades K-12.

Our bachelor's programs begin in the third year (commonly known as the junior year). Because we do not fully admit students as first-year students (freshmen), all of our undergraduate students are technically transfer students. Most transfer from within the University of Michigan, although others transfer from external colleges.

We do accept first-year students in a Preferred Admissions program. These students complete their first two years at another of the university's schools (usually the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts) while receiving advising from the School of Education, before transferring to our program at the beginning of the junior year. Other University of Michigan students apply to the School of Education during their first two years and formally transfer as juniors.

If you're a student here at the university in another unit, such as the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts, we have options that allow you to remain in that unit while completing coursework here, at the School of Education. In addition to your bachelor's degree, you will earn a recommendation for a Michigan provisional teaching certificate. However, if it's musical or physical education that interests you, then you must remain with your home unit (the schools of Music, Theatre, and Dance or Kinesiology).

Already have a bachelor's degree? You can earn a second bachelor's degree and our recommendation to the state for teacher certification. You can transfer 94 credits from your previous bachelor's degree and complete the program in two years or less.

You might also like
University of Michigan: An Uncommon Campus
University of Michigan: An Uncommon Campus
A2 in 60 University of Michigan Museum of Art (UMMA)
A2 in 60 University of Michigan Museum of Art (UMMA)
Related Posts